Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Best You'll Ever Have...

I made this recipe a few months ago when I had 

some friends over for breakfast. 

It was absolutely the most delicious 

French Toast I have ever had. 


You can find Texas Toast in the bread aisle of your grocery store.  

It's thick sliced white bread. 

You WANT to use Texas Toast.

Do not try to use regular white bread.  


Overnight French Toast Casserole


1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)

12 - slices Texas toast 

1 - cup brown sugar

1 - tsp cinnamon

1/4 - tsp nutmeg

1/2 - cup chopped pecans (optional)

1 - tsp vanilla extract

5 - eggs

1 1/2 - cups milk



DIRECTIONS:

THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU PLAN TO SERVE:


  • Melt butter and pour in a 9x 13 pan.  
  • Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and chopped pecans. 
  • Whisk eggs, milk & vanilla together. 
  • Layer bottom of pan with half the bread pieces 
  • Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mix over the bread. 
  • Layer second half of bread. 
  • Pour egg mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly. 
  • Sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top.
  • Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

THE NEXT MORNING:


  • Remove from the refrigerator and cover with a new piece of foil. 
  • Preheat oven to 350 bake the casserole for 30 minutes. 
  • Then uncover and bake 15 more minutes, your French Toast should be browned and set. 
  • Cut and serve with warm syrup poured on top, of course, you should ALWAYS add a little butter first!
This recipe was a HUGE HIT!
I ate the leftovers for lunch and dinner that same day!
Enjoy!




12 comments:

  1. This sounds like the recipe I use Lois only I add peaches to it. Absolutely yummy. It also tastes good as a dessert with a dollop of cool-whip.
    Blessings,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lois this sounds yummy, I have company coming in I must try i, thanks for sharing,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fantastic - I love to have friends over for breakfast! Don't know why so much...but always my favorite way to entertain! I, too, think it sounds great with peaches:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so yummy and easy to do. I will definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I love the look of this, Lois!
    Thanks for sharing - got to give it a go!
    Best wishes
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love french toast and this looks super easy and you don't have much to do the next day but enjoy every bite.;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that looks so so good. i am debating whether to bite the bullet and have the calories or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that recipe is not only tasty-sounding, but it's good for a person, too, because it has plenty of protein in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay, i did it. It just sounded so good!! It's in the fridge and will be baking tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds wonderful....even though I can't eat it. I am on the anti candida diet right now....but this sounds great for the rest of my family.

    I am having an APRON GIVEAWAY on my Journey With Candida Blog. Please stop by and check it out. Terry
    http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely gonna try this! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete